Wednesday, July 09, 2008
Cold Vermicelli Salad
It's hot day and we were still stuffed from our dim sum lunch. Tonight dinner menu was going to be Korean style short ribs, but not anymore. Will do that over the weekend instead.
- carrots, julienne or shred with mandolin
- jicama, julienne, or shred
- napa cabbage (red cabbage or green cabbage is fine too), cut to thin strips
- green peas (optional)
- shrimp and calamari (optional) , cooked and chilled.
- grated ginger
- garlic, very finely chopped
- shallots, very finely chopped
- sesame oil
- soy sauce
- lemon juice
- hot sauce (to taste, optional)
- salt and pepper
- Mix all sauce ingredients in bowl, whisk. Cover and put in the fridge.
- Cook vermicelli according to package. Usually it calls for something like emerging vermicelli in boiling water for couple minutes, drain and in this case (to make cold noodles/salad), run under cold water to stop its cooking process immediately.
- Mix all the salad ingredients together - vermicelli, veggies and seafood. I like to drizzle only half of the sauce, and toss well, making sure everything is coated thoroughly with sauce.
- Put back in the fridge (both salad and leftover sauce) for 15 minutes or so. Mix the other half of sauce just right before serving.