Monday, July 21, 2008

Camping: Peach Coffee Cake


Very easy coffee-cake and have never met anybody who doesn't like it! Original recipe called for apricot preserve as filling, but any preserves can be used. I have one jar of peach preserves that Vik thinks it's too chunky and tart to use as spread. So I thought it'd be perfect to use it for this recipe.

I can't remember the magazine where I get this recipe from. I just have a copied version of it, but vaguely, I think it's Southern Living or magazine along that line.

Instead of original 13x9x2 baking dish, which I don't have, I usually use round 10 inches, or two loaf pans. My mom even tried it on muffin cups. Below is the 'full' size recipe, but for the camping weekend, I just made half recipe that yield 2 small loaf pans.

What:
- 1 package (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking pwder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 jar preserves (try not to use jelly or smooth type jam)

Topping:
Mix together:
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 cups flaked coconut

How:
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in bowl. Set aside.
- Beat cream cheese, butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add milk and vanilla, mix well.
- Add flour mixture to creamed mixture. Beat until just moistened. Don't overbeat.
- Spread half batter into greased baking dish (I like to line mine with parchment paper).
- Carefully spread filling/ preserves over batter. Spread remaining batter on top of preserves.
- Bake at 350 until golden brown, about 35-40 minutes. Or less if using smaller pan.
- Take cake out from oven. Spoon topping over the cake. Gently press down the topping. Broil for 1-2 minutes until topping turn golden brown.

No comments: