- 2 stick unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups flour
- pinch of salt
- 1 tsp grated lemon zest
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp condensed milk
- 2 tbs grated lemon zest
- 1 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 cup flour
- Beat butter and sugar until light and creamy.
- In low speed, mix in flour and salt, just until everything is well incorporated.
- Form dough to ball with hand. Take out from mixing bowl.
- Flatten dough to round disk and press into 9x13x2 baking pan.
- Build 1/2 inches around the edge. Chill for 15 minutes in fridge.
- While crust is in fridge, make the filling by whisking together all the ingredients.
- Bake the crust in preheated 325 F oven for about 15 minutes, until lightly browned. Take out from oven and let cool on counter.
- Pour filling. Bake for another 30-35 minutes. Cut to triangles or squares. Dust with confectioners sugar.
- When grating lemon zest, use very light hand and don't over do it, the white part of lemon peel has bitter taste.
- This recipe has been altered (combination of Barefoot Contessa and Paula Deen) and ratio of sugar is very less compared to original recipes. I like very lemony, tart bars. When mixing the filing (don't add the eggs yet), just dip a spoon/ finger and give it a taste. Add more sugar if it's too tart. Mixing some orange peel and orange juice also will lessen the tartness of lemon.
- I don't have 13x9x2 pan, so I have used anything from 10-12' tart pan, mini muffin tin, 4x10x2 pans (to make layered cakes).