Thursday, June 19, 2008

Roasted Red Pepper Goat Cheese Pastry


What:
- 6 sheets of phyllo dough
- 2 fire roasted red-pepper (store bought)
- herbed goat cheese
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 egg beaten

How:
- Thawed phyllo dough as directed on the box. Make sure always have it covered with damp cloth.
- Take one layer of phyllo and laid it on cutting board or countertop covered by parchment paper. Short side towards you. Brush with melted butter.
- Top with another layer of phyllo. Brush again with melted butter. Cut into four strips. Spoon a teaspoonful of red pepper and nice chunk of goat cheese. Fold it to triangle.
- Repeat with the rest of the phyllo sheets.
- Wash with egg wash and bake for about 15 minutes.

Beside its fragility, phyllo dough is one among those versatile basic thing to work with, I believe. It just never hurt to have a box of it in the freezer. It can be done in many varieties. Sweet or savory. I ruined half of the box the first time I used it. Well..I guess I kinda treated it like eggrolls wrap. :) Pull, slap, stuffed, roll.

Working with phyllo requires some patience and can be bit tedious. But, after a while it isn't that bad at all. I have never attempted to make the dough from scratch though. I watched ..er..being taught, I guess, in pastry class. In my mind 'I am so glad that I am not to become pastry chef.'

No comments: