Tuesday, June 24, 2008
Egg Tofu (Tahu Telor)
- 1 small slab of tofu (about 5x4x1) cut to small pieces
- 5 eggs, beaten
- 1 cucumber
- 4 shallots
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 small tomatoes, chopped roughly
- dark soy sauce
- 2 red chillies
- shrimp paste
- tamarind juice (or soak some tamarind to warm water)
- Mix tofu to beaten eggs, season with few dash of pepper and soy sauce.
- Make couple of omelette out of the mixture. Set aside.
- Make the sauce; fry shallots, garlic, chillies, tomatoes, and shrimp paste until fragrant.
- Add sweet soy sauce and tamarind juice. Stir.
- Place omelette onto the plate, cucumber on top of it, then bean sprouts. Pour some of the sauce on top of it. I like to keep the sauce separately on the side, and just laddle it to the dish as we eat. It is just matter of preference, pouring it all at once right before serving is fine too.
Sometimes, I add roughly chopped peanuts to the sauce. Or, 1 teaspoon of natural peanut butter to the sauce and mix through it.