Saturday, June 21, 2008

Mushroom Chicken in Puff Pastry


What:
- chopped shiitake mushroom (or any mushroom)
- small cubed chicken (I use 1 chicken breast)
- minced onion
- soy sauce
- oyster sauce
- sesame oil
- five spice powder
- puff pastry

How:
- Heat oil, fry onion until translucent. Add chicken. When it's halfway cooked, add mushroom.
- Add soy sauce, oyster sauce, pinch of chinese five spice powder. Drizzle of sesame oil.
- Let it cook and simmer few minutes. Make sure there is not too much liquid, or the pastry will get soggy. Let mushroom-chicken filling mixture to cool before using.
- Roll out puff pastry while it's still bit cold (but the dough is workable/pliable). Cut to rectangular shape (or cut to round using cookie cutter). Put the filling. Fold the dough, dab some water around the edges. Crimp with ends of fork.
- Brush with egg wash. Bake in 350F oven for 15 minutes or until golden color.

I use made from scratch puff pastry in this recipe, but store-bought one just work as well. Will post puff pastry recipe whenever I make them next time. I usually make at least two batches of them and keep one in freezer. Do I ever buy those from freezer section? Of course!! I just happen to have some from a while ago, when I made some beef pasties for a good friend of ours. He deserves the made from scratch stuff. ;)

No comments: