Cleaning the fridge day happens when I can't stand all the randomness any more or simply have nothing better to do. With notepad in hand, I'd make notes on all these randoms stuff - 1 semi-wrinkled zucchini, 2 small tomatoes, etc etc. Things like that. Then hopefully come up with couple ideas for them - super nice if it does not involve a special trip to store to get extra ingredients kind of idea.
This afternoon, gather enough ingredients to whip up vegetarian lasagna. Actually enough to make a small pan for the two of us and 2 single servings - would be nice if I have rectangular pan, but got to do with round tins I have in pantry. Send the 2 single servings to our across the street neighbor. Yeap, I keep sending stuff that way, just so that I have 5 mile long tab on him and will get free help/ expertise when we move to our next abode. ;)
I have to post the tin version too, just because 1. it is cuter 2. melted cheese in larger portion does not look so appealing (dear husband says 'Look can be deceiving, and this is absolutely it') 3. trying different light source in taking photos
- whole wheat lasagna, cook to al dente
- 2 tbsp butter/ olive oil
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 cup of milk (more if you like more saucy type of filling)
- 2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 zucchini, sliced thin lengthwise
- 1 small box of spinach, drained well
- 1/4 cup red onions, chopped coarsely
- 1/2 cup of olives, chopped coarsely
- 1 tomato, chopped coarsely
- 1 cup of mushrooms, chopped
- fresh basil leaves, tear to small pieces or chopped
- fresh parsley leaves, chopped
- pinch of garlic powder
- pinch of nutmeg
- pinch of oregano
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup part skim mozzarella cheese, shredded (optional)
- Make quick roux by heating up butter/oil in pot. Sprinkle in flour, stir for a bit. Pour in milk. Whisk and break any lumps.
- Stir in chopped spinach, red onions and mushrooms. Cook for couple minutes.
- Toss in fresh herbs, nutmeg, garlic powder, salt pepper and oregano. Stir and let cook for few more minutes.
- Turn off heat. Stir in tomatoes, olives.
- Assemble lasagna by spreading very thin filling mixture on the bottom of the pan. Layer with lasagna sheets. Scoop 1/3 of spinach mixture on top of lasagna. Arrange zucchini slices on top of mixture. Then spread ricotta cheese on top of zucchini. Top again with lasagna sheets. Repeat for 3 layers. On the top layer, after spreading ricotta cheese, sprinkle with some part skim mozzarella cheese.
- Bake in 350 preheated oven for about 20 minutes, until top are golden brown.