Tuesday, August 05, 2008
Oven Baked Spicy Chicken
Another lazy easy recipe. Literally cut everything up, dash of this and that, wrapped in foil, and bake. It's a 'no work, no pain' version of grilled Indonesian chicken with spiced sweet soy. I like to make dinner like this when work is piling, yet I still want to make home-cooked meal, without having to spend too much time preparing. It's comforting, sliding the pan to the oven, leave it in there while taking a shower or finish up some chores or catching up with the husband - and when the aroma starts to creep out from the oven; just heavenly.
- Chicken (I use 4 thighs but any mix is fine), seasoned with pepper and salt
- 2 small tomatoes, quatered
- 1 onions, quartered
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped coarsely
- 3 shallots, chopped coarsely
- 2 bird eyes chillies, slit or chopped coarsely
- 2 tsp sambal ulek (optional)
- 1/4 cup sweet soy sauce
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- dash of fish sauce (shrimp paste if possible)
- pineapple chunks (optional, I just have some pineapple in fridge)
- Mix everything (except chicken and pineapple).
- Make an aluminum foil pouch, or just use regular baking dish, put in chicken.
- Arrange pinapple chunks to the side of chicken.
- Pour spices/sauce on top of chicken. Wrap foil loosely. If using baking dish, wrap/tent with foil too.
- Bake in 350 degree oven. Time depends on size of chicken. Vik likes very soft, falling off the bone chicken, so I bake it for about 1 hour. The last 5 minute of cooking, open the foil pouch and put it under broil.
- Serve with hot jasmine rice and steamed vegetables Indonesian style. Mmmm!!!!