Thursday, August 21, 2008

Risoles/ Risole

Instead of frying these risoles, I bake them. Personally, I like it best all fried and crispy. However, being the last item I made for the weekend Independence Day dinner and after frying batches of croquette and corn fritters, I have enough of it. Enough of the hot oil and the lingering fume of it. And also, I'd feel a little bit bad to eat all these fried foods.

I was not very certain about baking them. This is my very first time baking risoles! Doesn't sound very 'right', does it - baked risoles??! But anyway, I did. It's crispy, but man..the fried version is still better!!

Measurement of the filling/stuffing is pretty much up to the person who makes it. :) Just eye-ball everything. It also can be made vegetarian.

What:
Filling:
- 1 1/2 cups long beans, chopped
- 2 cups carrots, small cubed
- 1 1/2 cup cooked shredded chicken (optional)
- 4 shallots, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- pinch of nutmeg
- 1/2 block of chicken bouillon mix with 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 tsp of cornstarch, mixed with water
- salt and pepper

Crepe:
- 250 gram of all purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 600 ml milk (I just use 2% milk, but my mom mix up water with powdered milk (Nestle), and if I may say, it gives a hint of sweet flavor, but I don't have a box of Nestle just sit around in my pantry)
- 60 ml melted butter
- pinch of salt

How:
- Make filling by frying up shallots and garlic. Then, just toss in chicken, green beans, carrots and nutmeg. Stir. Pour in chicken bouillon mixture. Salt and pepper. Cook until carrots are tender.
- Pour in corn starch mixture. Filling should be slightly sticky/damp.
- Make and assemble risoles just like the Pandan Crepe entry.
- Dip risoles to egg whites, roll on breadcrumbs. Bake in 400F preheated oven, until golden brown, about 20 minutes. Turn the rolls once halfway cooking. Or, better yet, fry them!

For spicy hot food eaters, slip in one or two thai bird eyes chillies at both end of rolls once fried. The way I like to eat it: take out the chili, take a bite of risoles, then a bite of chili. Or, my brothers would just start from one end that has chili/chillies on it. The heat should (it will) linger long enough til the last bite.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

i think i'll love both versions :) fried or baked...gosh i miss risoles

Anonymous said...

I want, I want! The making crepe part will kill me. Any alternatives? Regular eggrolls wrappers will just turn this to 'eggrolls' and not risole, right? It wont' be soft, pliable, yet crispy. However, I shrudder to the thought of thai chillies!! WHOA? - Lara -

Dewi said...

Cecil,
Risoles look s good.I just back from Bali and I feel sorry that I haven't tasted this good looking goodies. Now that you posted the recipe, I might just trying to make it myself. Baked sound much better then fried, but I might try them both!