Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Daring Bakers: Abbey's Famous Cheesecake


Such dilemma when I saw this month's challenge. The April 2009 challenge is hosted by Jenny from Jenny Bakes. She has chosen Abbey's Infamous Cheesecake as the challenge. Cheesecake is one of very few desserts I can truly say that I enjoy. Almost savory dessert, see? The tag of the challenge though 'Be Creative with flavors, toppings, etc.' - oh, I think of myself as quite creative person. That's besides the point. Point is, I am cheesecake type of gal. Rarely go with something flavored or fancy toppings. One, the whole idea of cheesecake is the cheese, no? Second, cheesecake on its own is sinful enough.

However, if I were to make a batch of ole' plain cheesecake - how would I face fellow Daring Bakers? Hence, I decided to make cheesecake tartlets, couple plain ones and few assorted kind.

Figuring out the type of assorted flavor was a challenge on its own. I tried to remember the last time I had a not-plain cheesecake. Mid 2005! Cheesecake factory just came to the town I used to live at. Not a big fan of franchise and food in the Factory is mediocre, in my opinion. However, my parents were visiting and my dad was baffled on something called 'Cake Factory.'

Long story short - I took them there. Dad picked one with chocolate on it. He has never been a fan of cheese, but he'd eat bugs dipped in chocolate - just for the sake of chocolate. Mom decided on Tiramisu one. My dad ended up polishing his entire Chocolate Cheesecake and half of my mom's!


Hence, the Chocolate topping cheesecake and Tiramisu (swirled ones). Like usual, I tend to make sure there will be some other people (family or friends or strangers), other than us, who will help polishing off any dessert I bake. Girlfriend's birthday gathering happened to be on that weekend. Pretty sure that they'd go for chocolate/tiramisu kind, but just to complete the cheesecake scene - I did some simple fruit glaze: passion fruit and mixed berry.

Glad I only made 2 plain ones. If I were to make all plain ones, I'd just stand right in front of the fridge and ate them all!!

8 comments:

Audax Artifex said...

I really love the pictures especially the swirly ones in the middle of the post. O yummmy chocolate/tiramisu and fruit glazes: passion fruit and mixed berry. I did a lot of flavours but plain is still the best. I lurved this recipe a lot. Cheers from Australia Audax

lubnakarim06 said...

Oh wow looks yummylicious......Really droolworthy....

Chantal said...

Your photos are awesome, I love your presentation of this challenge they're so cute and their size makes them "guilt free" ha!

Unknown said...

I wouldn't have minded if you made the recipe as is, but what you came up with is so charming!

Jenny of JennyBakes

Unknown said...

I agree with you about plain cheesecake being unbeatable, but your variations look pretty darn good too!

The Mediocre Cook said...

Those look really good! The idea of a tiramisu cheesecake has my mouth watering!

tigerfish said...

I like the size of these cheesecakes cos I can have lots of them :D

Anonymous said...

Oh.. how could I miss this post... I love all the "pint" sized minis-- hehe I like what you did..