Sunday, June 22, 2008

Blackened Cajun Fish with Couscous

What:
- 2 fillet of fish (tilapia, catfish, red snaper)
- 1/2 tsp of paprika
- 1/4 tsp of hot chili powder/ cayenne
- 1/4 tsp of garlic powder
- 1/4 tspof onion powder
- 1/4 tsp of dried parsley
- 1/4 tso of dried thyme
- pinch of salt and pepper
- butter

How:
- Mix all the dry spices (except butter)
- Pat fish dry with paper towel.
- Coat fish generously with spices mix.
- Heat butter on pan, make sure it is hot enough before you put the fish on, but not so hot that it browns the butter.
- Slide fish carefully to the pan. Depending on the thickness of the fillet, it will not take but only couple minutes at one side. Then carefully lift and flip to the other side.
- Once cooked and 'blackened', remove fish and put on top of platter.
- Add extra olive oil or butter to the pan, and scrape the bits of it. I like to add a touch of milk or cream to make little sauce to pour on top of the fish.

There are many different 'Creole/Cajun' seasonings available in grocery store and it's okay just to use that instead of the spice mix above. I don't use enough of 'Creole/Cajun' mix that instead of buying the mix, I just toss everything together when I need 'em.

I like to serve fish with couscous or rice pilaf. Usually I just buy plain couscous and make it according to the box, and using broth instead of water. Then as extra, as in this case, I fry up some shallots, mushroom and jalapenos, then mix it with cooked couscous. I also add some grated lemon peel and finely chopped parsley.

No comments: